Women’s homelessness is an urgent crisis in Canada, requiring immediate action. Housing insecurity and homelessness for women is largely invisible and women remain profoundly underserved across many systems and services. Women, especially those who are multiply marginalized, face systemic barriers to accessing safe, affordable, and adequate housing.
The Women’s National Housing and Homelessness Network is trying to change that.
Activities of the Network include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting research on the causes of, and solutions to, homelessness and housing insecurity for women, girls, and gender diverse peoples;
- Advocating for policy change in support of preventing and ending homelessness for women, girls, and gender diverse peoples;
- Valuing, listening to, and actualizing the voices and ideas of women-identifying people with lived experience of homelessness and housing insecurity in policy discussions and public debate;
- Developing toolkits and training to support transformation of programs and systems to support ending homelessness for women and girls (for example, developing toolkits and training on Housing First for Women)
- Hosting webinars featuring best and promising practices on preventing and ending women’s homelessness
- We are vocal, determined advocates and allies for the voices of lived experience.
- We believe that ending homelessness is possible.
- We serve women and girls who are at risk of or are experiencing homelessness.
- We believe in the Right to Housing.
- We employ an intersectional approach.
- We are committed to equity and inclusivity.
- We honour trans and gender diverse identities.
- We are committed to children’s rights.
- We commit to advancing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action and the Calls for Justice from the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.
Become a Member
If you wish to become a member of the Women’s National Housing and Homelessness Network and receive correspondence, resources, and invitations to future events, please complete the membership form.